Chevron

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Sistahs!

Here they are -- my wonderful sisters and (a few of the many reasons) why I love them:
Beth is generous, hard-working, and efficient. While the rest of us were lounging around, she was cleaning the cabin to make things easy for us to leave the next day. She’s a problem-solver, and not afraid to do hard things; when we were a little short on 4-wheelers, she rode the motorcycle instead. She is also a very competitive game player, and a lot of fun to be with. Her 3 daughters are extremely polite and fun to be around.

Beth
Kristen is quite possibly the most enthusiastic person in the world. No matter what trials life hands her, she makes lemonade, plus whole wheat bread, and a vegetable salad from her garden. She is never sad (I am sure that can‘t be true, but I have never seen her anything but laughing), and the thing she loves most in the world is her husband and 5 children. It is impossible to be unhappy around Kristen, so if you really want to sulk, you must avoid her.

Kristen with her little Lucy Hands down, Aura is one of the most talented people I know. She can sew anything, cook anything, decorate her 3 children's’ rooms like a pro, and is sharp as a tack. She asks thoughtful questions, and doesn’t forget the answers, so when someone needs to know, for example, how to tell the difference between a diamondback rattlesnake and a regular rattlesnake, she will remember a chat she had with an old cowboy from Montana and give you the answer (that didn't really happen, by the way -- as far as I know!). Every family needs an Aura.
(Camera shy? Still looking for a picture of Aura)
Whether Lucy was born with all the skills to become a journalist, or whether she developed the ability to be inquisitive while studying to be a journalist is unclear; but the fact of the matter is that when you talk to Lucy, you will end up talking way too much about yourself (or is it just me?). She is so good at turning attention away from herself, it’s a little spooky. She is also incredibly frugal and wise with money, while being one of the most generous gift-givers I know. She and Brad are raising their 3 children well together in the Idaho mountains.

They might kill me for this, but this is Jessie and Lucy after four-wheeling!
Jessie knows how to have fun; it may even be her middle name. She loves to play games; she is a non-stop tease, and can be the silliest person in the room, then the next minute she’ll become SuperMom. She can whip out 12 dozen rolls like it’s the easiest thing in the world. She truly makes homemaking look easy, and I know that it isn’t. Her husband and 3 children are very lucky, and they know it.

Here are Lucy and Jessie cleaned up =)
If there was a Good Sport award in our family, it would go to Theresa. She is probably the sister-in-law least likely to fit in easily, most likely to throw her heart and soul into the effort, and she has succeeded beyond belief. She came from a much more arty/ cultural background than the rest of us, and wasn’t involved in sports at all. Marrying my brother, though, she has learned! She is willing to try anything, and puts her hear in it. She is quiet and sweet, but can fight like a tiger for her husband and 3 children when the need arises.

Theresa and Rett (only nursing babies allowed!)
If you need something done, ask Carrie. When the idea of a Sisters’ Trip came up, she whipped into action, and within 2 hours (give or take!), had the whole trip organized, planning location, meals, activities, and ideas for fun. Carrie comes across as tough and competent -- which she is -- but has a heart as soft and sweet as marshmallow. She is expecting #2, and it doesn’t slow her down at all.

Carrie (pregnant) and Me (not) Suzanne continues to surprise me. She is easily one of the quietest of the group, but she has talents none of the rest of us have, much to our appreciation! She was the one who fixed things that broke, got the 4-wheeler started without the key, pumped up all the rafts and inner tubes, and generally evened out the bumps that came up on our weekend. And did I mention that if she doesn’t want to be thrown in the river, it will not happen? Her two little girls keep her busy when there’s no Girls’ Trip and softball is in the off season.

Suzanne with Sharon and Cami; Lucy and Theresa
Cami came all the way from China for our trip -- and a few other things. We miss her and her family, including #2 who is on the way. But we did get them in the country for most of the summer. Cami is very tender-hearted and loyal; you simply can’t say anything that could seem mean about her family. She is also one of the most focused, intense people I know, and she continually pushes herself to do better. She hates attention, though. So when she wins a marathon, and the trophy shows up in the mail because she didn’t stick around to collect it, you’d better be there when the mail comes, or you’ll never know. She may have crates of trophies under her bed!

Cami (pregnant) with Sharon, Theresa with baby Rett
New this trip, I got to know 2 of my half sisters, Dawn and Sharon. They were both born after I moved to college, so I only see them a few times a year, but here's what I know about them: Dawn is a people magnet. When Cami got married, I watched how all of Paul's little brothers and sisters, total strangers for about 5 minutes, gathered around her. She really makes friends easily and is kind to all. Sharon is quiet and thoughtful. She is very creative; when my little boy was born, Sharon designed and sewed a matching fleece jacket, hat, and blanket. That little duck blanket is Boone's very favorite right now. He loves it, and I am reminded every naptime how much I appreciate that gift from Sharon. So there we have it. Am I lucky or what? There are many things I left out, I'm sure. I hope all of my sisters, by birth or not, know how much I enjoy them and that my life is better because of them. Thanks for a great trip!

2 comments:

munks said...

Yeah! It was fun to read this blog and reminisce about this fun trip. I was surprised to see that I was one of the quietest but I guess considering the group its very true:)

Anonymous said...

Marylynn!! That had to have been one of the funnest trips ever!! Thank you for your beautiful and fun tribute. It was amusing and truthful! Love you and miss you and your beautiful family.