Chevron

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Don't Hate Me Because I Go to the Cool 80s Concerts

I waited awhile to post this, because if people knew I went to two awesome concerts in two weeks, they would start to expect more from me; they might think I have a super exciting life, when really, it's only moderately exciting with flashes of fabulousness. At least that's what I WANT you to think....! So this adventure started with a call from my Bon Jovi concert-pal Delicia, who was driving and heard on the radio that RICK SPRINGFIELD was coming to town for Liberty Fest, a small new celebration in a town called (of all things) Farmer's Branch (I don't know why, it just is), only 10 miles away or so. I immediately looked online, and confirmed that it was really happening, only a few days from then, and for the ridiculous price of $10! Well, we could pay $75 for "better" seats, but to get in was downright cheap. It was a done deal! We bought our tickets, and off we went........ Mallory (Delicia's daughter), me, Ashley (friend), and Delicia (look, she's doing the "rock hand!") Mallory gets another picture because she's so brave. How many teenagers do you know who would go to an 80s concert with their MOTHER and her friends? One, that's how many. Actually, Maaike planned to go, but accidentally agreed to babysit the same night. She was really disappointed, and so was I (and I was really worried, too, when I got a call that our substitute babysitter had locked himself and Boone outside..... but that's another post for another day). The opening opening act was from the School of Rock. These four kids were amazing! The youngest was 7, oldest 12, and they knew how to play! The drummer was the 7 year-old, and he was the best. His sister, 9 years-old, lead singer, played drums and keyboard, was also awesome, but he stole the show. They played ACDC, Led Zepellin, and I forget the rest... but they were really good. The opening act was the Spin Doctors, who I didn't know. They had one good song in the early 90s that I knew, but their stage time was mostly a good time for me to make phone calls to get the babysitter and Boone back int he house, check on Maaike, buy a Steak on a Stick, etc. Time well spent, and no offense to the Spin Drs. They were fine, but to enjoy a concert, you really have to know most of the songs. There were some big fans of theirs in the crowd, who loved them , and they were really energetic, but it wasn't for me. Sorry! During their time on-stage, though, I also soaked in the ambience. The weather was great -- warm, but not too hot, with a little breeze. It was a big, beautiful park area, with surprisingly few vendors -- a good and bad thing, both. There weren't many people there until the main act, so we got great seats (more about that later!), and there was a never-ending parade of interesting/weird/crazy people to watch! A guy with fake (?) dreadlocks; a woman with fake... well, over-augmented... um, yeah; a woman wearing a concert t-shirt from the Bon Jovi concert the week before (I went to talk to her; surprisingly, she didn't care that I had also been there), and assorted other characters. Good times.... We had our camp chairs and blankets about 50 feet from stage, which was a great location; and the people who paid big bucks actually had a worse view (and less comfortable chairs!) than we did, so we were ready to rock! FINALLY, the main event: Still REALLY handsome. Sigh. Delicia was in heaven -- if Bon Jovi was MY favorite concert act, RS had to be close to her favorite. I still don't understand the thing with the flowers. People would hand him beautiful bouquets, and he would shred them on his guitar. Is it just me, or is that weird? It looked pretty for a second or two, though..... After a while, being 50 feet away seemed too far for us rabid fans, so Delicia and I deserted Ashley and Mallory to watch our stuff while we went right up to the stage. We were probably 6 feet away from the edge, and I swear we got RS sweat on us (he was sweating a LOT!)!! But there was a drawback to our plan; when he sang "Human Touch" he went deep into the audience; about 50 feet in! He went right up to Ashley and Mallory, and they both touched him. I had been able to reach him on his way down the stage, and again on they way up, but Delicia is much less pushy than I am (obviously), and didn't get that "Human Touch"; the only one of our group to not get it (and the one who was most excited about the whole concert, I think!)! Not long before this concert (weeks, or so?), RS picked up a DUI. When he played "Don't Talk to Strangers", he did a big thing with a police officer and all the kids in the audience, that I am convinced was his community service assignment. Delicia thought he gave the kids a mixed message! Look how close we are! This officer semi-agreed to let any of us out of a speeding ticket if we mentioned Rick Springfield; I wonder if he would have let us out of a DUI? Rick invited all the kids up, then was surprised how many there were. He said "You guys gotta watch more TV!" Oh, if it had been in Utah.... He also was upstaged by some of the cute kids, and he knew it. "Jesse's Girl" was the highlight of the night! Someone put it on YouTube, and you an hear me and see my hand (at least I am claiming it's me...!). The crowd was going crazy -- he gave a GREAT show!!! During the Encore, Rick came out with glasses on (fine) and shirt off (not so fine). I looked up his Wikipedia page, and he is a few months OLDER THAN MY MOTHER (he'll be 62 this fall). This is too old to be shirtless, people. I have photographic evidence, but I didn't want to upset anyone... (I'll email you if you must see it). For everyone else, Delicia had a random stranger take our picture "with Rick", and you can just see his torso above our heads. It was a great night -- so much fun! Soooo glad we went! Afterwards, we brainstormed which other concerts we would love to see, and lo and behold, one of Delicia's other favorites will be in FORT WORTH in two weeks (wanna guess who it is?). We're going. I lied earlier; my life is pretty much ALL FABULOUS!!!

2 comments:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

this is SOOOOOOO awesome! ;)

1. I love Rick Springfield -- is he seriously 62? that's kinda creepy, but oh well, now he's like in my Neil Diamond category or something

2. LOVE LOVE Bon Jovi, but I think I aleady told you that.

3. LOVE school of ROCK! That looks so fun...

I am so excited to tell you that Zeke and I and two other couples are going to Def Leppard in August! :) It will be awesome.

Marylynn said...

Wow, where did that month go? We have been to two more concerts I need to post about, but I am actually jealous of your concert, Lacy! DL was here last weekend, but my daughter was performing in a theatre camp production the same night(i.e., we spent all week and plenty of money for her to do it, so we had to go watch the finished product!)! Argh! I'll be they were really good. Hope you screamed a lot for me, too!